Internet Marketing Tips; Keyword research is the cornerstone of search engine optimization (SEO), and the foundation of successful Internet Marketing.
Keyword research is the cornerstone of search engine optimization (SEO), and the foundation of successful Internet Marketing. Whatever business you are in, it is important to do (or pay someone else to do) keyword research before you choose a domain, develop the website concept, or write a word of written content.
Internet Marketing Tip: Keyword research is an art form that requires intuition, creativity, and persistence.
The first step before you start keyword research is to write down all of the keywords that you think people are typing into the search engines to find a product or service similar to yours.
For example, let’s say you are a real estate agent in San Francisco, CA and you are just getting started – write down what you think the keywords might be…
- San Francisco real estate agent
- Real estate agent in San Francisco
- Homes for sale in San Francisco
- Houses for sale in San Francisco
Internet Marketing Tip: Look for ‘demand’ and ‘competition’ when conducting keyword research:
- Sign in to your Google account, go to https://ads.google.com/home/tools/keyword-planner/
- Click on Go to Keyword Planner
- Under – Use Google Ads as… Click on NEW GOOGLE ADS ACCOUNT
- Click on Tools & Settings, in the drop-down click on Planning -> Keyword Planner
- Type in a keyword into the top box and click on Get Results
- Now click on the keyword, this action takes you to the first page of Google for that keyword and document the About […] results number, this is the number of competitor pages.
As you can see the numbers are all over the board. But what you are looking for is:
A) At least 1000 Global monthly searches
B) If possible under 100,000 Competitor pages.
When I am doing keyword research, I sometimes document hundreds of keywords on a spreadsheet. Once I get them all documented, I choose a keyword that gets a significant number of global monthly demands and a limited number of competitors for my domain (If it is available), the website title, descriptive sentence, and in the content.
It’s also a good idea to use those same keywords in your social networking sites; posts, image descriptions, and biographies.
Thank you for reading these Internet Marketing Tips. We look forward to your questions and comments, feel free to add your thoughts in the box below.